Aim: students become aware people with disabilities can be beautiful. I have used this task as a follow up for the TED talk on shame/bullying by Monica Lewinski . You can find Monica Lewinski talk HERE
- Puzzle reading text. Download photocopiable text HERE
- BBC Video. See link underneath
- DV8 Video embedded below
Teacher tells the students they are going to discuss our concept of beauty.
Students read the text about, Nick Vujicic , an Australian man who was born with an extreme disorder: tetra-amelia syndrome. Download photocopiable text HERE
- Student A reads his/her part of the text tells B about it.
- Student B reads his/her part of the text and tells A about it
Alternatively the teacher can use other videos as Mr. Vujicic presence online is big.
Students discuss the different topics that may arise: bullying and beauty.
- What is our concept of beauty? How is it created?
- Is Mr. Vujicic beautiful?
- Would you be interested in meeting him?
To end up on a high note, see how beautifully this man dances.
The cost of living. DV8 physical theater