Who am I? Click HERE to see my CV

Important!!! Use Firefox or Google Chrome to view this page. With Internet Explorer you may only visualize parts of this blog.

By Maria Zabala Peña at: englishforeso@yahoo.es or mariazabalapena@gmail.com. For ESL without photocopies go to my other blog HERE

New!! VIDEO BLOGS on English for Communications and on English for Office Applications (Computers). See links below.

English for Communications. Click HERE. By Beatriz Papaseit Fernández and myself, María Zabala Peña.
English for Office Applications (Computers). Click. HERE. By Beatriz Papaseit Fernández and myself, María Zabala Peña.

Amazing Street Art : 15 artists

Level:  Advanced.  Particularly geared towards Art Students 
Video length: 21 minutes
Timing for full task: 1 hour 45 minutes. 
As the task has 15 sections you can adapt the length of the task to your needs 
Procedure: 

1. You are going to watch a video that features 15 famous street artists' work.You will hear these words in the video. Make sure you know what they mean.

Suffer a bad rap, Push the boundaries of, To be forged by, To be coy about, A myriad of emotions, Overlapping, Layers, Snarling wolf (dog), Bystander, Mundane, Whimsical, 
Electric meeters, Devious, Sewer drains, To crack a smile, Hold on to your hat ( An expression warning someone of a big surprise), Rubble, To be awash with (full), A quote ( pay attention to the meaning of this word in this video: David Bowie part), Cut-outs, Lurking, Blazing, To see a surge

Remember that using sophisticated vocabulary in your composition is a must. You may introduce some of these words in your future essays. 

2. Read the questions before you listen to the different sections. 

Concrete Canvas: Gregor Wosik.  

  1. Use your own words to explain what “Optical Illusion” and “Concrete Canvas” are

  2.  Who inspired Grogo Wosik? 


Sean Yoro: Tidal murals

  1. What are tidal murals?

  2. What is Sean Yoro aim? 


Stathis Tsavalias. Insane 51 Hidden Art

  1. How does this artist create an optical 3D illusionary effect? 

  2. .What is this method called? 

  3. What does the bystander see? 


Tom Bob’s Reinventions

  1. For Tom Bob nothing is useless. What type of elements does this artist choose to work with? 

  2. According to the voice-over, What is the most common reaction to Tomb Bob artwork?

Ray Media Jaens. Dia de los muertos 

 10. What is the main material used to create this Dia de lo Muertos sculpture? 

M- Cities Kharkiv Mural 

         11.What are the objectives of Kharkiv murals?  

12.What events are shaping Ukraine’s modern society?  

Bowie Portrait 

13.What was the objective of these subway art pieces? 

14. What did the exhibition include, apart from realistic pictures?

Roa’s trapped creatures

15. What are the adjectives uses to describe Roa’s art?

Cosimo Cheone Lurking Giants 

16.What does  Cheone’s work suggest?  

WD  street art activism 

17. What is the objective of this art? 

The living wall by  Nikita Nomerz

18. What does Nikita Nomertz use to create his art? 

JCro’sMurals

19.What famous brand has JCro’s worked for? 

20.What is the range of JCro’s work? 

21.What is the only shape JCro’s uses in his work? 

Leo Keer’s Augmented reality

22.What feature distinguishes Leo Keer’s mural from other artists works?  T

Adam Fu’s Glow style 

23. What type of paint does Adam Fu use? 

24. What is the metaphor behind Adam Fu’s work? What does he use his work for? 

Johan Karlgren’s Suprise art

25. How do Kagreen’s colors interact with the palette of the Swedish cities? 

26. What is your favorite? Justify your reason 

Use the key to correct your answers: HERE 

If  the link/embedded video  is broken, please download the video file HERE

Introduction:
Everywhere you look, there’s a work of art to catch your eye. Whether we’re basking in the glory of Mother Nature, or standing awestruck at the metropolitan monoliths of modernity with some of the craziest installations in human history--the artist’s canvas has certainly shifted through the ages. Historically, street art has suffered a bad rap, particularly in the early days of Hip Hop and Graffiti, but now--both spray paint and latex are pushing the boundaries of the creative medium. From Optical Illusions to Moving Mannequins, here’s 15 Amazing Street Art That Is At Another Level

7 comments:

Maien Rabassa said...

One of my favourite artist is Stathis Tsavalias, I think the 3D technique he uses is amazing. I have never seen an artist use the 3D effect for a drawing. I love optical ilusions cause I think it's really interensting and dificult thing to do and that's why he's one of my favourites.

I also love the Bowie Portrait, even though some people may not like realism I think it's incredible how some artists can capture a person throught art.

Nerea Martinez said...

I really love Stathis Tsavalias' art. It is really amazing the way he represents two different images at the same time. I have seen his work before but I didn't know his name. It's insane, I imagine the hard work that is behind and I literaly scare... It's a technique I want to try but I find it too difficult.
I wish I could see some of his art in Barcelona's streets! I would definitely stare all day at them.

Júlia Pareja said...

All these artists are really amazing. I think all deserve a lot of love and appreciation. I have to say that I did like ones more than others, even if everyone had something good. First, Stathis Tsavalias's work was super cool. The way he used 3D optical illusions to create 2 different images depending on the side of the glasses you were looking from is so creative and innovative. Then, there was Tom Bob’s Reinventions which, I have to say that I thought that was really funny. Also, the fact that he uses elements from the streets that no one is using to make his art is so cool and it's really pleasing to see that those forgotten objects are being re-imagined so that they can, at least, have a new use. Next one is Ray Media Jaens which I thought was really cool and I think that their idea of using crumbled concrete to make it look like the skeleton was coming from the ground is really creative. There are a lot of other ones that I liked a lot like Cosimo Cheone Lurking Giants, Nikita Nomerz Living wall, Leo Keer’s Augmented reality and Johan Karlgren’s Suprise art.

Andrés Villamizar said...

The one that caught my attention was Stathis Tsavialias, I am actually impressed to see his art, I feel like this artwork, is quite breathe taking just seeing his art becoming an actual thing, or looking like something real.
I’m not really a fan of street art, but this one was definitely incredible.

clara said...

I wouldn’t say I have a favourite because street art is not my thing, but I’m interested and impressed by some of the fifteen examples the video presents. I liked the chalk floor art and how they play with the perspective, as they say later in the video: the power of perspective. I definitely find the illusionary two figures image really cool and well thought-out. Overall, filling in ugly and decadent spaces with art is brilliant and positive. - Clara B

Unknown said...

In my opinion, street art is very important as it is part of the popular culture and of communities, through wich the ideas of the people are expressed and manifested. I don't know many street artsts because of the anonymity.

Lisa Campos

Oriol Pomar said...

Street art has always been a fascinating topic to me, just thinking about people using the surfaces of cities as their canvas has always made me think of how much can really be done and reflect on how truly enormous their street canvas is in retrospect. I do have to say, however, that most of these on this list, while all of them being absolutely fantastic at their craft, have felt a bit repetitive and that I would've liked for other artists like Axe Colours, El Latero or Banksy to pop up as at least honourable mentions.
Although most of these street artists have a very broad message to deliver with their art I have to say the one I liked the most has been Adam Fu. The reason behind that is really quite superficial; I don't much care for the democratic-sided theme of Fu's works, him criticising (former) president Trump's tyrannical administration and all of that, but mostly because the style and canvas he uses for his artwork has to be one of the most satisfying of the list. Most of the artists' pieces were somewhat unsettling or very jampacked with detail and great complexity, but Fu's work was simple, understandable, very clean and overall very effective, something that, compared to most others on this list, really stood out to me. Also, referencing back to what I said about the canvas being so very big in retrospect, I do really like that instead of using that to his advantage he decides it to keep it relatively small, only painting small portions of walls instead of the wole surface.
Though I've been praising Adam Fu's works over all others for a bit now I would like to reiterate that all these 20 artists have talent beyond my understanding, and I praise them for that. Street art seems to be a very difficult craft to pull off and seeing all these artists do it with such ease really makes me marvel at their tremendous prowess at what they do.