Who am I? Click HERE to see my CV

Important!!! Use Firefox or Google Chrome to view this page. With Internet Explorer you may only visualize parts of this blog.

By Maria Zabala Peña at: englishforeso@yahoo.es or mariazabalapena@gmail.com. For ESL without photocopies go to my other blog HERE

New!! VIDEO BLOGS on English for Communications and on English for Office Applications (Computers). See links below.

English for Communications. Click HERE. By Beatriz Papaseit Fernández and myself, María Zabala Peña.
English for Office Applications (Computers). Click. HERE. By Beatriz Papaseit Fernández and myself, María Zabala Peña.

Speaking practice: what can I do for you?


Mingling Activity: What can I do for you?

Level: low intermediate and upper

Students need to be able to say/write simple sentences about what they can do. They may do so without using the verb “can” (see examples underneath) , if they wish.  You may want to pre-teach the structure:
I 'm good/bad at + noun
                  I 'm good/bad at + ing 

                  When students report their activities they may need to create simple sentences in the past.

Materials: Some pieces of (recycled) paper or some cards
Procedure: Distribute a piece of paper to each student.
A) On one side of the paper the student writes down something s/he can do and that might be of interest to the rest of the class in an office setting. The students should not write their name on the card.

E.g.:

I can make free photocopies
I am good at typing
I am very good at planning
I have many extra pens and pencils
I have a powerful computer
I am very good at excel
I can teach how to use PowerPoint

If students prefer, they can invent the services they wish to provide.

B) The teacher collects the pieces of paper and distributes them around the class. Students move around and see the services other students provide.

C) The students choose  2, 3 or 4 services that interest them and go around looking for the students providing those services.

At lower levels the structure: I am looking for a person who… may have to be pre-taught

E.g. I am looking for a person who can teach me PowerPoint. Are you that person?

D)Teacher should encourage students at higher levels to talk about the activity and arrange an appointment /Lower level students can just find the person and jot down his/her name.

E) Some students report to the class: Who they met and what this person did. Students may use the present or the past, depending on their level.

E.g.  I know that Antonia is very good at...
E.g. I have met Antonia and she told me she ...

Thanks to Carme Porcel, my teacher of French at EOI for providing me with this activity.

No comments: